Hi all —
Here’s a summary of our discussion yesterday (this is the starting point for a discussion that will continue in class.) Feel free to add to this list:
* There’s been 37 rapes reported between Amherst college and UMass
* 46% actually reported (RAINN)
1. Security– has it improved? What’s different?
What do private schools do vs. public schools? Check back at library incident and see if changes occurred.
2. Processes that survivor and rapist go through. What happens to their family?
Do they withdraw from the university typically? Is the rapist expelled or in trouble with their school or maybe even their job?
3. Frat/jock culture– they aren’t associated with Umass so do the rapes need to be reported?
4. Police reports. What actually gets reported? Why? Obtain them.
5. Publishing the name?? most news outlets don’t. why not? Should we? What are the risks/ problems and concerns with doing that?
Benefits of publication?
6. What happens from college to both survivor and rapist? Are there more rapes in college vs. high school or in the work force?
7. Male rape victims. Find their stories. What’s different about the coverage? How many actually come forward. Why don’t they?
8. Talk to UMass administrators.
9. Violence/alcohol. How do both play a part in rapes?